Kitchari [ Rice Lentil Stew ]
An Indian inspired dish made of lentils, rice and vegetables. Easy on the digestion.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 portions
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup red or split yellow or brown lentils
- 3/4 cup white basmati rice
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 - 5 cups chopped vegetables I added 2 carrots, 1 medium zucchini and 1 cup finely chopped cauliflower
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
Heat the oil and add the spices, cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook another 2 minutes.
Add the beans and rice, stir, and add in the liquids and bay leaves. Taste the broth to check if there is enough salt.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. If too thick you can add a little more water while cooking. Add in the chopped vegetables and cook for another 10 minutes until everything is tender.
When everything is cooked stir in the chopped cilantro, optional. Top with 3 slices avocado and a wedge of lemon.