This vegan egg salad is not only for Easter. The color, the texture and taste make this a lovely snack on any day. Great on crackers, toast, on a salad as a thick dressing, scooped up with tortilla chips or rolled up in a wrap. This is a tofu free version and you can find the complete, easy recipe on how to make a vegan egg salad below this post.
Often a vegan egg salad is made with tofu as a base which is lovely but if you don’t want to use soy or want to try a different version this one is just delicious. The cashews and avocado make it creamy and decadent tasting while the fat content is not bad. I like to add in a lot of very finely chopped veggies to add volume and a bite.
The egg flavor comes from a tiny bit of kala namak or black salt, this gives a sulphury, egg like taste to the salad. Optional, without it also great but the black salt does give extra dept to the dish.
The ingredients for the base of the salad simply go in a blender or food processor until nice and creamy. This is such a great sauce/dip/dressing on its own! For another creamy dressing try my Delicious Vegan Turmeric Mayo. The vegan egg salad can go in the refrigerator to sit for an hour or so. This is one of the dishes we often have on hand. Great for a snack attack or a quick meal!
Often these simple things like being able to grab something healthy when hungry or feeling like a snack that keep us on the right track and not hangry. I see being prepared as one of the most important facts to make a new healthy lifestyle successful. A little planning and preparing in advance can make your fridge and cupboard a wonderful source of abundance.
You can save this recipe and pin the picture below to your Pinterest board!
Vegan Egg Salad
- ½ cup cashews soaked for two hours
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tbsp. mild mustard
- 1 Tbsp. appel cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- ½ tsp. himalaya salt to taste
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- tiny bit of kala namak black salt, this gives a sulphury, egg like taste to the salad, optional
for texture …
- 2 celery sticks diced very small
- ½ avocado diced small
- ¼ cup radishes or red bell pepper in small dices
- ½ cup grated carrots
- 2 spring onions or a small shallot diced fine
- 2 Tbsp. parsley chopped
- 1 Tbsp. dill chopped
- The ingredients for the base of the salad go in a blender or food processor until nice and creamy.
- Fold in the chopped ingredients and set it in the fridge for a couple of hours.