This Spicy Soba Noodle Salad is a delicious and light dish, perfect if you want to get back to healthy eating after the holidays. I love the combination of the spicy sweet dressing, chili peppers, salty eggplant and juicy mango. Soba is the Japanese name for buckwheat. The noodles are usually made of buckwheat flour, sometimes mixed with wheat. Mine were a made of buckwheat and sweet potato.
For this salad we start by making the dressing. I wanted this dressing to be stickier so I blended in some dates for sweetness and thickness.
The dressing is salty, sweet and acidic at the same time. Would also be a nice dip. It looks a bit like my Asian almond dipping sauce but nut and fat free.
Usually you have to fry the eggplant to get it nicely colored and soft. Eggplant cubes are like little sponges and suck up a huge amount of oil while backing, a bit like mushrooms. I wanted to make this oil free so I sauteed it in a skillet with a little water until soft. Then I added the eggplant to the air fryer and baked it for about 10 minutes until they turned this nice golden color. I added it back into my pan with a splash of water and some salt and pepper. In the meantime the eggplants are cooking you can boil the soba noodles. When done I rinse it with cold water and add the half of the dressing to keep it from sticking.
Add 2/3 of the sliced ingredients to the cooked soba noodles. I finally found a delicious mango! It took some time to ripen it but it sure was worth it. I love the heat the chili peppers add to the sweet fruit. I am not a huge fan of raw onion but a few very thin slices do add the needed balance. Spring onion would also work.
Mix it all with two forks or a thong and let it marinate for a few hours. When ready to enjoy remove it from the fridge and let it come to temperature for 30 minutes. Serve with the remaining ingredients added on top and some dressing on the side.
Look at this mango looking all juicy! You can find the complete recipe below. For another fruity salad you can try my Fruity Caesar Salad & Shiitake Bacon.
Have a lovely day,
ps. If you want to save this Spicy Soba Noodle Salad for later you can pin it to your Pinterest boards using the following image’,
Spicy Soba Noodle Salad
- 150 grams soba noodles
- 1 cup sliced ripe mango
- 1 small red onion sliced very thin
- 1 medium eggplant cubed
- 1 small red pepper small dices, to taste
- 1 Tbsp chopped basil
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
Sweet Sour dressing
- 1 Tbsp braggs aminos or soya sauce
- 2 pitted medjool dates
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 - 4 Tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- Blend the ingredients for the dressing until creamy.
- Slice and cube the eggplant. Stir fry it in some water until soft and bake it until golden in the oven or in an air fryer. You can also bake it in oil but be mindful about the amount you use. Add salt and black pepper when done.
- Cook the soba noodles following the instructions on the package. Rinse with cold water, let it drip for a minute. Shake all the excess water off and add the half of the dressing to it.
- Thinly slice the onion, mango, the red pepper, as much as you like to use. Chop the basil and parsley.
- Add half of the chopped veggies, fruit and herbs plus the half of baked eggplant to the noodles and let it marinate for two hours.
- When serving add the remaining ingredients on top and serve with the remaining dressing on the side.