I just love warming meals when cold outside! And I also love using my slow cooker to make them like for this spicy root vegetables dish. A slow cooker is just amazingly convenient, add all in and let it cook. It doesn’t get easier than that right!? My spicy root vegetables dish has a Moroccan vibe due to the warming spices I added. It is so good with some plant based yogurt and some lime juice drizzled on it, served on a bed of quinoa or couscous. You can find the recipe below this post.
Root vegetables are mostly not the “hottest” veggies around yet they are very versatile, delicious, nutritious and not expensive. I have here a combination of celeriac, turnip, carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, onion, an apple and currants for sweetness and to balance the spices. You can also do dried apricots, delicious in this dish. Chopping is the only time consuming task at hand, cooking is taken care of by your slow cooker. This dish can of course also be made on a stove top you just have to be present in the kitchen while cooking it. A dish like this can also be prepped as part of a batch cooking session, chop everything except the apple and store it in the fridge until needed. The spices make your house smell just amazing. I always saute my onions first when using a slow cooker, I don’t just add them to the pan. This gives more flavor and also gets the onions soft. I used fresh flat leaf parsley here but dried can also be an option. The thing with slow cookers is that it takes a while to heat up so I always use hot water or broth to get it faster to the right temperature. And I try not to lift the lid more than once in a cooking session. I usually stir and taste once and keep it closed for the remaining cooking period. Every time you lift the lid you add about half an hour or so to the cooking time.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! If you want to save it you can print it or pin the picture below to your Pinterest board.
Spicy Root Vegetables
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and sliced into bite size pieces
- 1/2 pound turnips, peeled and diced
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 pound celeriac, peeled and diced
- 1 pound sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup currants or sliced dried apricots
- 3 cups hot vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley or 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Saute the onion for 5 minutes in water or a little coconut oil.
- Add in all the vegetables and spices. Stir and add in the hot broth.
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, depending on the size of your chopped vegetables.