ON-days are the “detox” days of this ON/OFF diet. The plant based meal plan for weight loss #5 is also an ON-day. Detox mode is ON.
We get the bulk of our calories from fruit and starchy vegetables complimented by nutrient rich vegetables and greens. Fat is low, around 15% of the consumed calories. Lower fat lets the liver do it’s cleaning and detoxing optimally.
Low protein days enhance the bodies ability to recycle old damaged proteins. This proces also releases glucagon and autophagy within the cells increases.
Breakfast is a delicious, super easy and portable chia pudding with raspberries. This pudding is best when prepped the night before, the chia seeds need to soak up the almond milk and become pudding like. You will love this if you like pudding.
Chia Raspberry Pudding [ 240cal. ]
Chia seeds are a great weight loss food because they are rich in fiber which makes them filling. They are also a great source of omega 3 and healthy fats.
Ingredients for one serving,
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries plus more if you want some on top
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp barley grass powder, I added it hence the light green color of the pudding, you can slightly taste it which I don’t mind, optional
- 1 brazil nut for your daily selenium needs
Add the chia seeds and the almond milk to a glass jar. Mix well and let it sit for about 15 minutes, stirring a few times to break up clumps. Stir in the raspberries, put the lid on and set it in the fridge overnight. I also add a dash of stevia to add sweetness.
Banana Cacao Smoothie [ 280cal. ]
Today’s mid-morning snack is a banana cacao smoothie with added spinach to boost the nutrient profile.
Ingredients for one smoothie,
- 2 medium bananas, frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- a big handful of fresh spinach
Add the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. For a thinner smoothie add a little water.
Spring Potato Salad & lemon mustard dressing [ 365cal. ]Jump to Recipe
Lunch on this plant based meal plan for weight loss #5 is also a meal that can be prepped upfront and it travels well. Cooked, cooled potatoes are a great source of prebiotics. I always have some cooked/steamed potatoes in the fridge.
Prebiotics are non-digestible food ingredients that probiotics can feed off. They are needed to increase populations of healthy bacteria in the gut, aid digestion and enhance the production of valuable vitamins.
Kale Mango Salad & Sweet Potato [ 355cal. ]Jump to Recipe
To make a kale salad taste good it needs to be massaged with lemon juice, avocado or a dressing. This breaks down the fiber and makes it easier on the digestion but also enjoyable to eat. Plus the flavor gets in there. In this salad I added some sugar free store bought salsa which makes a great dressing and is fat free.
Oven baked sweet potatoes, or regular ones if you don’t like sweet potatoes are made to be stuffed. You can chop up the potato and add it to the salad or slice it open when done baking and stuff some of the salad in there. A drizzle of hot sauce can be delicious with the sweet mango.
On OFF-days you can add some cooked beans to the salad.
Snacks [ 300cal. ]
Medjoul dates and an apple are your main snacks for the day. You can always add some herb tea to sip on and raw vegetables like cucumber, celery or radishes if you need something to chew on.
these meals are delicious and nutrient dense, something you can always enjoy weather on a weight loss journey or not,
Spring Potato Salad
- 2 medium spring onions
- 1.5 cup steamed potato with skin
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- ½ cup slices cucumber
- 50 grams arugula
- 1 cup green peas steamed from frozen
- 10 medium radishes
Lemon Mustard Dressing
- 2 tbsps tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp mild mustard
- Preferably steam the potatoes the night before to enhance the prebiotic properties of the potato when cooled.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Whisk well with a fork.
- Ensemble the salad and pour the dressing on top. Carefully scoop it through the salad.
Kale Mango Salad & Baked Sweet Potato
- oven or air fryer
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 6 tbsp sugar free salsa
- 1 lime
- 1 cup mango, cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced finely
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or basil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, oven baked
- Massage the kale with the juice of the lime and the salsa for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well using two forks. Serve it besides and in a baked potato or add the baked sweet potato sliced up to the salad.
- bake the sweet potatoes in a oven on 400F/200C for about 40 minutes until soft. Don't forget to puncture some holes in it with a fork.