The summer has finally arrived, my favorite season for sure! Natural Sun Protection is on. It is so important to start protecting our skins from the harmful rays of the summer sun. And yes, we do need our vitamin D’s, but 20 minutes a day will provide your body with more than enough vitamin D. Too much of these beautiful rays will raise your chances of premature skin aging, we do not want that, it also will heighten your risk of developing skin cancer and will acidify the body.
The increase of skin cancer also has certainly to do with what we put in our bodies and more what we lack. Sunburn is an inflammation of the body which we can decrease or eliminate by eating pure raw alkalizing food. It is possible to protect ourselves against these UV rays so that our bodies do not burn so fast, that it can repair itself and discard itself from the raging free radicals which occur from too much sun.
Yes, a few years ago I loved to enjoy those sun rays, but after a sun allergy that just would not go away, some strange red spots, I decided to stay away from these rays. And my skin and I are really happy!
To protect my kids I feed them pure, nutrient rich foods and use natural mineral based sunscreen. I do not let them play in the sun during the most dangerous hours, that would be between 11h30 to 15H30. In the mean time take a siësta break, play or chill in the shade and enjoy the morning- and evening sun. It seams quite a task to keep children out of the sun, but it is just something to get used to. It is SO important for their health, now and for later.
The biggest problem is that slapping on sunscreen seems to be the logical solution, but it is not. Most sunscreen are loaded with toxins which immediately are absorbed through the skin and start circulating in the bloodstream. There is more and more research about the strange conjunction between using more sun protective products and the yearly increasing number of new skin cancer cases at the same time. Sunblock also blocks and stops the absorption of vitamin D, which we do need for our bones and as a natural protector against the sun rays.
What should we watch out for? Here are a few of the long list unpronounceable ingredients often used in sunscreen products,
- Parabens disturb the hormone balance in the body, parabens are actually preservatives which protect the product against fungi and bacteria.
- Benzofenon, oxybenzone, benzylidene camphor en ethyl-4-aminobenzoate. Also DEP (diethylftalaat) and artifical fragrance disturb the hormonal balance and are carcinogenic.
- Mineral oils like paraffin and petroleum, PEG (polyethylene glycol/polyether glycol), silicones should be avoided due to there very negative effect on our health.
- Retinyl palmitate, a kind of vitamine A, an actual antioxidant, is being added to a lot of skincare and sunscreen products to slow down premature skin aging. The problem occurs when this product comes in touch with sunlight. The reaction between sun rays and retinyl palmitate seems to speed up the growth of tumors and cancerous cells. Not a good feature for a sunscreen product.
- Almond oil, about SPF 5
- Extra virgin coconut oil, between SPF 4 and 7,5
- Olive oil, between SPF 2 and 8
- Avocado oil, between SPF 4 and 15
- Red Raspberry seed oil, between an amazing SPF of 25 to 50
- Carrot seed oil, between SPF 35 and 40, although not on it’s own, usually used as an ingredient in natural sunscreens
- Zinc Oxide is a natural mineral with a SPF of 2 to 30, depending of the amount used. Zinc Oxide is a natural sunscreen often used as a base of new generation sun protection products. Mineral sunblocks with non nano zinc oxide and titanium dioxide have for sure the preference above chemical based sun products.
- Citrus, like lemon, lime, oranges and grapefruit, rich in vitamin C, is a natural antioxidant but also rich in limonene , a protector against skin cancer. Lemon is super alkalizing, great to restore the alkaline balance in the body. Acidity also occurs after too much sun.
- Vitamin C, the leader of the antioxidant gang is a precursor of collagen, needed for a youthful skin. In collaboration with magnesium and vitamin E they form the base needed for skin repair and skin renewal. A constant supply of vitamin C is is essential, the body can not store excess for later. A really high dosage of natural vitamin C is found in camu camu and baobab powder, also goji berries, acaï berries, and also in fruits en vegetables.
- Green tea, rich in EGCG’s, these compounds can reduce the damage caused to cells after too much sun exposure and UV rays. Green tea can also for a great base for a lovely smoothie!
- Carrots and all orange, yellow and red fruits and vegetables are a great source source of carotenoïds, lowering the effects of UV rays.
- Chlorophyll, and oxygen, sounds so good! Sure want more of that! Chlorophyll is a powerful antioxidant which transports pure oxygen to our cells and tissues. Chlorophyll is the what enables plants to soak up sunshine and to transform it to energy. It also gives plants their green color. Green leafy vegetables are rich in chlorophyll, spinach, kale, chard, parsley etc. are a few examples. A huge concentration can be found in wheat grass and chlorella.
- Raw cacao, berries, pomegranate, garlic, tomatoes, broccoli, sweet potatoes, goji berries are all very rich in antioxidants needed to clean up free radicals. Free radicals provoke inflammation and damage to our cells and DNA. For a healthy youthful looking ski you will be needing these! A mix of berries, lime, strawberries make a great base for a beautiful skin Sun proof Smoothie!
- Good fats which are rich in omega 3 fatty acids work anti inflammatory and protect our DNA from free radical damage. Sacha Inchi nuts, powder or oil, hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds all contain a good amount of omega 3 in the right proportions to omega 6.
My Chia Buckwheat Pudding is a great source of body protecting nutrients.
- 1 cup almond milk,
- 1/4 cup sprouted and dehydrated buckwheat,
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds,
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds,
- 1 Tbsp. sacha inchi powder ( optional ),
- golden inca berries,
- goji berries,
- 1 tsp. bee pollen ( optional ).
Mix all the ingredients, let it sit for 5 minutes, stir and put it in the fridge to thicken up for half an hour or overnight. This will provide you with lots of omega 3, plant based protein and all the essential amino acids. tastes so good and looks so pretty!
- Almonds, brazil nuts, cashew nuts, sesame seeds, legumes, dark leafy vegetables, broccoli, pumpkin, avocado, pumpkin seeds, banana, blackberries, citrus & raw cacao are a great provider of magnesium, a mineral which very much people seem to lack. Magnesium is a alkalizing mineral which will be needed in larger amounts when we tax our bodies with too much sun. Magnesium and calcium work together to neutralize a acidic environment and we do need to keep up our stash to get safely through summer.
- white flours
- wheat and gluten
- sweetened juices and drinks
- artificial sweeteners
- acid, except for apple cider
- prepackaged foods
- artificial colors
- table salt……..
- I can prepare my body for the sun by adding generous amounts of alkalizing, nutrients loaded, body and skin protecting fresh pure foods to my meals
- I can eliminate inflammation provokers and acidic foods out of my daily diet as much as possible
- get my vitamine D’s, half hour in the sun, especially with eyes closed so the rays can hit my eyelids and if necessary take a supplement
- start looking for a natural, organic, mineral based sunscreen, I have two of my favorites I use for myself and my kids. There are of course more choices, these are also quite affordable, important because we will be needing a lot it this summer.
Have a great day,
Buckwheat Chia Pudding
- 1 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/4 cup sprouted and dehydrated buckwheat
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp. sacha inchi powder optional, additional protein
- golden inca berries
- goji berries
- 1 tsp. bee pollen optional
- Mix all the ingredients, let it sit for 5 minutes, stir and put it in the fridge to thicken up for half an hour or preferably overnight.