This hummus mushroom toast makes a great savory breakfast or brunch. Savory breakfasts are getting my attention lately, they are very satisfying and if balanced they keep you full en fulfilled for a few hours. I love these 10 minute meals, especially is they also deliver on nutrition and flavor. This meal is part of my Plant Based Weight Loss Meal Plan, Day 3.
For this recipe, which is pretty easy, quick and also doable in a bigger batch I also added sliced sweet onions and fresh thyme. Garlic would be a great addition on a day off work if you know what I mean.
This caramelization you see below is happening without oil, yes, it’s doable. I use non toxic nonstick skillets for my frying. The mushrooms release their water and cook while this water evaporates. You can of course add a tsp of olive oil if you prefer it that way. When almost done I add in the thyme leaves, these add a delicious fragrance to the dish.
You toast your slices of bread, I took two slices of my gluten free multi grain bread for this but any bread you love will do. I really like this one and the options for whole grain gluten free breads is very small over here. Spread with hummus, homemade or store bought.
And pile on the caramelized mushroom mixture. How easy is this Hummus Mushroom Toast?!
I like to add some hot sauce on top but I like hot sauce on pretty much everything. I like to double or triple this mushroom recipe, to make sure I have plenty of leftovers for the next day. It can be re-heated or tossed into a salad or noodle / pasta dish.
Hummus Toast Variations,
hummus on toast is just delicious but topping the hummus makes it even better!
A few toppings ideas, always start with toasted bread and a generous amount of creamy hummus,
- broccoli cress, sliced avocado, salt & black pepper
- sliced tomato and pesto
- salsa and fresh cilantro or basil
- Mexican inspired bean salad from corn, beans, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic and lime juice
Try this Roasted Beet Hummus or my Spinach Artichoke Hummus for some variation. I always use this small foodprocessor to make my hummus. There are so many different directions you can take with hummus!
I hope I got you excited about this delicious classic,
If you would like to save this recipe you can pin the picture below to your Pinterest board,
Hummus Mushroom Toast
- 2 and 1/2 cups mushrooms cleaned and quartered
- 1 large sweet white onion sliced thinly
- 1 tsp tamari or gf soy sauce
- 3 springs fresh thyme
- black pepper to taste
- Add the onions and mushrooms to a nonstick pan with a Tbsp of water and saute while stirring every now and then until it starts to soften.
- Stir in the tamari and bake while stirring so it wont burn. When done and golden stir in the fresh thyme leaves.
- Toast the bread, spread with hummus and top with the mushroom onion mix.