I love this healthy chocolate banana bread! It for sure hits the spot when I crave something sweet, chocolaty and comforting. I tend to make it when I have too much ripe bananas in the house, a great way to finish those right!? The recipe is oil free but if you wish you can replace a part of the plant based milk with a little melted coconut oil. One more thing I love about vegan baking is that you can totally lick the bowl …. delicious, like a mousse.
This healthy chocolate banana bread is also gluten free, I used my own mixture but you can do a regular or a gluten free baking mix. I love to decorate the top with banana slices, those tend to caramelize in the oven and turn even sweeter. You find the complete printable recipe below this post.
Sweet or glutinous rice flour is a new ingredient for me. I was looking for something to add to my baking to replace the gluten. This sweet rice is made of sushi rice which is much more sticky then regular rice so you can imagine that the flour has the same effect. It should be used in moderation, I added a 1/4 cup to this recipe together with 1 cup sorghum and 1/2 cup oat flour. The texture of the banana bread turned out delicious and moist, but not too much, just enough.
I always blend my bananas before adding it to banana bread instead of mashing it with a fork. I find that it gets absorbed much more evenly and easily. Bananas need to be very ripe with brown spots to be perfect and sweet for baking. I added a few drops of this chocolate flavored stevia for some added sweetness and depth of flavor but that is optional. These gorgeous raspberries just had to be in the picture and they do combine so well with chocolaty things.
I also made a peanut version using low fat peanut butter powder instead of the cacao powder, also very delicious. Peanut butter powder has almost all of the oil taken out of it, only the flavor remains, so it doesn’t add any unwanted fat to the banana bread. For more healthy low fat vegan chocolaty goodness check out my Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes and Black Bean Brownies!
I hope you will love this healthy chocolate banana bread as much as we do! If you would like to keep this recipe you can print it below or save the image under this text to your Pinterest board,
Let me know how it turned out,
Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup white sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice or glutenous rice flour ( ketan )
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 and 1/2 cup blended bananas, I used three large ones
- 1/4 cup date paste or other liquid sweetener like maple syrup
- 3/4 cup plant based milk
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- chocolate stevia drops equivalent to 2 Tbsp. to 1/4 cup of sugar sweetness, optional
- Mix all the dry ingredients, flours, baking powder and soda, cacao powder and salt.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a different bowl. Add to the dry and mix until well combined.
- Pour into a lined bread form and bake in a preheated oven on 350F/175C until dry in the middle, about 45 minutes.
- Let it cool in the pan for about ten minutes and then further on a wire rack.