More snacks! This has been the theme it seems for the last couple of weeks. I just can’t help it …. I make what I crave and love so here they are, my Delicious Cauliflower Wings. The best way to eat cauliflower besides blending it into a creamy soup or plain crunchy raw on a salad. Summer cauliflower is the best, so crunchy and light tasting, the ones even my kids like to eat. These “wings” can easily be added as a side to meals or on top of salads and in wraps as a hearty filling.
They are twice baked to create the delicious crispy layer on the outside. Baking makes cauliflowers kind of chewier, very different from cooked, something I discovered not so long ago. Same goes for baked broccoli. First I bake them with the spices, flour and a little plant based milk to get the flavor in and to create the first layer. You can find the complete printable recipe below this post.
They come out of the oven already tasting good and all. Then it is time for the second coating. I use no oil in this recipe to make it light and to be able to eat of it as much as I like. You could give it a little oil spritz if you choose. I always use these Silicone Baking Mats, easy to clean and everything turns out crispy.
The second layer is a combination of a thick sauce and breadcrumbs. For the sauce I used ketchup diluted with a little water and added in some Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup and hot sauce. You can also do a BBQ style sauce or even an Asian flavor.
I love these gorgeous gluten free corn crumbs, they turn out golden and crunchy. I also used these in my Crispy Artichoke Hearts Bites I posted last week. Some dip ideas …. my Turmeric Dipping Sauce, oil free and/or this Spicy Tomato Dip.
I just cover them with all the layers using a big bowl and tongs, the fastest way to go. They can also be individually dipped in sauce and bread crumbs to get a more even coating but here we don’t mind. They are the crispiest fresh out of the oven but even delicious the next day.
Look at these delicious cauliflower wings … this color and crunch. So good! If you would like to save this recipe you can print it below or pin this picture to your Pinterest board,
Delicious Cauliflower Wings, vegan low fat
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 cup flour, I used sorghum, gluten free
- 1/4 cup plant based milk, I used soy
- 1/2 cup corn or other breadcrumbs of your choice
- 1/3 cup ketchup, I used sugar free
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Worcester or soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. water
- Divide the cauliflower into bite size pieces. Add it to a big bowl and sprinkle with the onion, garlic and paprika powder. Mix well. Add the milk and flour. I shaked the flour through a sieve to get it even over the cauli pieces. Mix again.
- Spread on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven on 425F/200C for about 25 minutes. Also add the liquid that is left in the bowl on top of the pieces cauli. Turn half way.
- Mix the ketchup or BBQ sauce with the water, maple syrup and Worcester sauce.
- Remove the wings from the oven and add it back to the ( clean ) bowl. Scoop the sauce over the cauliflower, mix, and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Spread on the baking sheet and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes until they turn golden and crispy.
- Serve with some nice dips and enjoy!