Love porridge! This time I made a lazy Crock Pot Quinoa Porridge, slowly cooked, full of nutrients, creamy, warming and delicious. You can make it on the stove top, just less lazy that way. I love my Crock Pot because I can set the time when it starts to cook at night and then we have warm porridge when we wake up. You do all the prep the night before. Here I topped mine with almonds, cacao nibs and maple syrup. Full printable recipe below this post.
Quinoa makes a great alternative to oats but honestly I love all kinds of porridge, millet, buckwheat, teff …. as long at is is creamy and warm! Quinoa is loaded with nutrients, is rich in plant based protein, also gluten free and has plenty of fiber. I like to add some fruit to cook along with the porridge to make it even more creamier and to add natural sweetness. Cinnamon and maple syrup are my flavorings and they go so well together.
Another great porridge like breakfast could be my Superfood Overnight Oats with lots of goodies topped with fruit. Easy, no cooking just mixing ingredients, the same for my Bircher Muesli with seeds, dried and fresh fruit. The Crunchy Buckwheat Granola is a bit more work upfront but so worth it, nutrient loaded with activated buckwheat, and it is crunchy as the title says. So many delicious ways to start your day! Adding a little plant based milk or yogurt and your breakfast is ready to be enjoyed.
Let me know if you loved this as much as I do! Perfect for a cold morning, who am I kidding, any morning … it makes you feel all cozy and warm inside. As a bonus the house smells AMAZING when you wake up.
Crock Pot Quinoa Porridge
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed very well
- 2 cups plant based milk of choice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or vanilla powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 medium apple, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts, topping
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- more maple syrup to taste
- Rinse quinoa very well, it can taste bitter when not rinsed enough.
- Add to the slow cooker together with the plant based milk, cinnamon, vanilla, apple and maple syrup. Stir,
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve warm or cold with toppings.