This creamy chickpeas avocado salad is one I need in my fridge every week! A salad like this can be the best healthy, filling, savory snack you crave in the afternoon as it also can be added to a salad, bowl or as a filling in a wrap. It is light, it has plenty of plant based protein and the combination of the lemon, mustard, pickles and fresh dill is just amazing!
Dill is probably my favorite herb … what would be yours?
The ingredients are basic but go so well together. I used soy yogurt to make it even more creamy, you can also use another unsweetened plant based yogurt or some vegan mayo if you prefer. The salad gets better after a few hours in the fridge or the next day.
The ingredients need to be finely chopped, the carrot is grated and the chickpeas are mashed with a fork. I do like to keep the avocado a bit more chunkier.
My favorite way to enjoy this salad is by scooping some of it in a crunchy romaine lettuce leaf.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans and are a part of the legume family.
Chickpeas are rich in fiber and keep you full for a long time. They are packed with nutrients like iron, protein, manganese, phosphorus, copper and folate. Chickpeas are a combination of carbs and plant based protein. Read HERE more on what the best vegan sources of iron are and how we can enhance the absorption of it.
Low Calorie Density
Chickpeas have a low calorie density, they provide few calories per serving and are also relative to the amount high in nutrients. Eating lots of low calorie density foods help to lose weight and feel satisfied at the same time. The combination of protein and fiber have an appetite-lowering effect and aid in weight loss and weight management. Chickpeas are also low in fat, filling and high in potassium.
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas contain approx. 126 calories, 1.3 grams fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 372 mg potassium, 20.6 grams carbohydrate, 11.2 g fiber, 0.66 grams sugar, 7.2 grams protein
If you like this recipe you can print it or save the picture above to your Pinterest board.
This delicious Creamy Chickpeas Avocado Salad is part of my Plant Based Weight Loss Meal Plan Day 6, click HERE to see the full day of eating!
Creamy Chickpeas Avocado Salad
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas rinsed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic smashed into a paste, optional
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 10 cm / 4 inch cucumber in small dices
- 2 tbsp pickles diced
- 3 tbsp olives diced
- 1 tbsp minced red onion or shallot
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped dill
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp mild mustard
- ¼ cup soy yogurt or vegan mayo
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado cubed
- Rinse chickpeas. Add to a medium-size mixing bowl, season with the salt, black pepper and nutritional yeast. Using a fork, mash the chickpeas but not too fine, leave some chunks for texture.
- Add diced cucumber, grated carrot, pickles, olives, red onion or shallot, parsley, dill, lemon juice, mustard and soy yogurt or vegan mayo. Combine and mix well.
- Gently fold in the diced avocado. Add more salt and pepper if needed. I used a pepper, sun dried tomato and dried olives mix instead of black pepper but regular black pepper works great too.