These chickpea lentil pancakes can be enjoyed on its own, topped with sauteed vegetables or when cold rolled up as a wrap. In this recipe I serve it with sauteed kale and mushrooms for a nutritional punch. I also add green peas, fresh herbs and tomato to the batter to give it more body, fiber and nutrients.
Chickpea and lentil flour are a great source of plant based protein, six times the amount of all purpose flour. They are also rich in fiber and are naturally gluten free.
To make the best pancakes without oil you need a good quality, non toxic, non-stick pan. This is the most gorgeous non-stick pan I have ever seen!
How to keep a non-stick pan from sticking?
I use my crepe pan only for pancakes, crepes, quesadillas etc., food that doesn’t need to be stirred or stir fried, this keeps the pan in optimal state and my flat food from sticking. It is also important to clean the pan every time after use, gently but thoroughly to get all the tiny food particles off which in time will make your food stick to the pan.
It is important to care for a pan this gorgeous and not cheap right!? It is worth to care for any non-stick pan to avoid irritation while cooking. If the pan starts to stick it can be cleaned by mixing 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons baking soda, and ½ cup white vinegar in the pan and heat it up until boiling and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Wash the pan with soap and rub some vegetable oil in the lukewarm pan to keep it from sticking in the future.
Health benefits of mushrooms
Mushrooms are rich in vitamins B2, B3 and B5, also known as riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid. Riboflavin, B2, is important for red blood cells. Niacin, B3, is needed for a good functioning digestive system and for maintaining healthy skin. Pantothenic acid, B5, is good for the nervous system and hormone production. Copper and potassium are also well represented in mushrooms. Copper is needed in the production of red blood cells, important for energy. Potassium is extremely important for heart, muscle, and nerve function.
For more mushroom recipes you can try my Hummus Mushroom Toast and Beans Portobello Burgers.
Sauteed kale and mushrooms are a great topping for these pancakes which already have veggies in them. The topping is bonus! You can use all kinds of vegetables, spinach or zucchini would also be good. Add lots of fresh herbs to flavor these mild tasting vegetables and top the dish with salsa, hummus or guacamole.
These chickpea lentil pancakes are a part of my Full Plate Meal Plan, it is the hearty filling lunch meal you can enjoy on day 4 when following the 7 day plant based weight loss plan.
ps. If you like to save this recipe you can print it or pin the picture below to your Pinterest board,
Chickpea Lentil Pancakes with Kale & Mushrooms
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup lentil flour or 1 more cup chickpea flour
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp black salt, optional, adds an egg-like flavor
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs, I used flat leaf parsley, cilantro or dill can be a substitute
- 1 medium tomato, de-seeded and chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
Sauteed Kale & Mushrooms
- 1/2 medium white onion, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 2 medium zucchini, in small cubes
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups mushrooms, cleaned
- 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce or sea salt to taste
- red pepper flakes
- Blanche the green peas for about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Mix the flours, spices, salt, baking soda. Add in the water and stir to dissolve lumps if any. Stir in the tomato, grated zucchini, lemon juice and peas.
- Heat a good quality non-stick pan and bake 1/4th of the batter, making 1 large or two smaller pancakes, at a time with or without a tsp of oil, this depends on your pan. Cook both sides for about 3 minutes until golden.
- Place one large or two smaller pancakes on a plate and add 1/4th of the kale mushroom mixture on the pancakes. I like to add a few tbsp salsa on top and a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Sauteed Kale & Mushrooms
- Add a few tbsp water to your pan together with the mushrooms and onion and bake for a few minutes to let it soften. Add in the chopped kale and flavorings, bake for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until soft enough to your liking.
Omg!! The chickpea pancakes sound in-credible Tina. You truly combine the best wholesome ingredients to make something so tasty yet very nutritious. Thank you for your magic.
Thank you Anna, so kind of you! Let me know if you tried it and how it turned out. Sending xo