My kids are a huge fan of wraps filled with all kinds of goodies and dressings like these homemade gluten free tortillas . This time I wanted to make another kind of wrap, ones that are filled with veggies they do not care for but I do! These chickpea flour wraps turned out delicious! They are gluten free and I just love the combination of the grilled asparagus, beets, sage, mushrooms, spinach and bell pepper with the sweet mustard dressing. And the baking part went easier then expected, no sticking to the pan or falling apart. The wrap is made of chickpea flour, water and flavorings. Easy as can be and gluten free. Chickpea flour can also be named gram flour or besan and it just milled dried chickpeas. I added in onion and garlic powder plus some salt and just water to make the dough. You find the complete recipe below the post.
The dough should be easy to pour. I used a ceramic non-stick pan. The dough made 6 medium sized wraps but you can of course make them bigger. When you add it to the pan you should be able to swirl it around to make it the desired size.
To get some spring feelings on I decided to fill them with grilled green asparagus, grilled mushrooms and some crunchy sage leaves. The color of the asparagus is just gorgeous and they stay nice and crunchy. Besides these I also had some steamed beets in the fridge ad those combined deliciously with the other stuff.
To ensemble the wraps I layed down some fresh baby spinach leaves on the chickpea flour wrap and topped that with some of the asparagus, mushrooms, sage, beets, crunchy bell pepper and a drizzle of my sweet mustard dressing. The wraps are very pliable and easy to roll.
The dressing is just some mustard, lemon juice and a liquid sweetener of you choice. Honey is delicious with mustard but maple syrup, agave, rice syrup or coconut nectar are also good. The color of the dressing can be a bit different.
Thank you for reading and let me know if you tried it! You can leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can see what you have created!
If you like this recipe you can save the picture below to your Pinterest board!
Chickpea Flour Wraps
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water, more or less if needed
- 1 pound green asparagus
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms or what you prefer
- 2 medium cooked/steamed red beets sliced
- 2 handful fresh baby spinach
- 8 sage leaves
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp honey or another liquid sweetener
- Snap the ends off the washed asparagus. Clean the mushrooms and sage leaves and grill them in a hot grill pan, may be sprayed with some oil if needed. The asparagus should be crunchy and green when done, this takes about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with a squeeze of lemon and salt.
- Mix the flour, onion and garlic powder, salt with the water and whisk it to make a smooth dough. Bake the wraps in a medium hot nonstick pan, flip when the top side is dry. Cover the wraps with another plate until they are all doe to keep them warm.
- Mix the ingredients of the dressing well.
- Assemble the wrap by adding some of all the veggies and sprinkling it with some dressing. Roll and enjoy.