I love oats, in a porridge, as a crunchy granola, overnight oats … I love to bake with it, use it raw in energy bars, I need my oat fix every day. These blueberry oat crumble squares just hit the spot and the beautiful thing about whole food cooking is that these squares can be breakfast, a snack or warm out of the oven a dessert! It is basically all oats, apple sauce, maple syrup and blueberries. Three layers, starting with an oat dough on the bottom. You find the complete recipe on the bottom of this post.
The second, most delicious layer, this gorgeous dark blue/purple jam … It gets thicker during baking and soaks a bit into the oats.
The crunchy topping is the same dough as the bottom layer, I do add some extra oats, may be some chopped walnuts or pecans to it to make it more crispy.
This is just delicious when fresh and hot out of the oven! Add some plant based yogurt or ice cream on the side and you have a wholesome dessert!
I also love it cold, cut into squares, for breakfast or as a snack. You can scoop it or slice it when cool.
This color though …. Blueberries contain a huge amount of anthocyanin – the pigment that makes a blueberry blue. Anthocyanins are powerful antioxidants, they give the red, blue and purple color to the fruit. Berries offer protection against cancer, protect the liver and the brain, boost our immune system and guard us against cardiovascular disease. And they taste delicious ….
The crumble has no added oil in it, the chopped nuts add even more crunch to these blueberry oat crumble squares. This recipe is made with only 5 main ingredients, it is easy to whip together! May be something for a late brunch …
If you like the recipe you can save the picture below to you Pinterest board,
Blueberry Oat Crumble Squares
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour or cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or essence
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or other liquid sweetener of your choice
- 3 cups oats, divided in two
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup extra oats to add to the topping
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 375F / 180C
- Place the blueberries and orange juice in a small pan and bring to a boil. Add in the tapioca mixture and let it thicken for a minute. Remove from heat.
- Blend half of the oats into a flour. Add in the remaining oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon. Stir well. Add in the apple sauce and water and form a dough.
- Press 2/3 of the dough into a lined baking sheet, about 8x8 inch. Scoop on the blueberries.
- Mix the extra oats, coconut sugar ( optional ) and chopped nuts to the remaining dough. Tear off small pieces and add them on the blueberry layer. It should cover about 90% of the surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Serve warm, scoop with a big spoon, or let it cool and slice into squares. Keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.