Anti-Inflammatory Meal Plan Day 4, we are over half way through! I’m curious if you have joined in or tried some of the recipes?!
Day 4, again a light savory breakfast, today a creamy green smoothie, the quickest meal of meals accompanied by some toasted whole grain sourdough bread. Mine is gluten free, made with buckwheat and sorghum flour. There are so many benefits to choosing a good quality sourdough above regular yeasted bread.
Creamy Avocado Breakfast Smoothie [ 277 cal. ] & Sourdough Toast [ 220 cal. ]
You can also use a raw store bought juice or blend all the ingredients instead of juicing it. Serve the smoothie with 2 slices of toasted sourdough or a whole grain bread of choice topped with 2 tbsp mashed avocado, tomato, sea salt and chives.
Why is sourdough better than yeasted bread?
During the development of the sourdough bread and a good one takes a while, phytic acid is diminished. This unlocks the nutrients like iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus and makes them absorb-able.
Soaking and developing the starter and the sourdough also makes gluten and protein more digestible. Some with a gluten sensitivity [ not celiac disease ] can handle a proper made sourdough bread. When whole grains are used the bread is also high in fiber.
Cauliflower Tabbouleh [ 130 calories ]Jump to Recipe
This herb and flavor rich salad tastes the best when prepped the day before, which is great for an easy quick lunch. Lots of fresh parsley and mint, tomatoes and the grain that usually is used as the base is replaced with fresh cauliflower. You can use quinoa or millet if you prefer a more filling but still gluten free meal.
Parsley and mint are powerful greens, parsley has been used for thousands of years to control inflammation and mint is great for digestion. The roasted chickpeas give a delicious flavorful crunch, you can throw them on top before eating. Roasted chickpeas can be homemade but you also can buy them which can be a major convenience.
Roasted Chickpeas [ 1/2 cup 125 cal. ]Jump to Recipe
Golden Milk, the name is enough to want it don’t you think?! This wonderful comforting warm beverage is rich in inflammation lowering spices.
All the snacks listed on the menu have been added to the daily total, calorie and nutrition wise.
Black Bean Chili Soup [ approx. 250 cal. ]
Beans, and especially the dark colored ones like black beans are rich in phytonutrients, all the legumes are rich in fiber, potassium, folate and vitamin B6. Tonight’s black bean chili soup is made in a pressure cooker but the recipe is also adaptable to a stove top situation. I added quinoa for more plant based protein and a green salad cause every meal needs a salad.
Anti-inflammatory Meal Plan Day 4 Nutritional Info
These sample days are here to inspire you to add more healthy meals to your daily diet. Adding in is always the first step. Adding in means you are crowding the other stuff out. Adding in often feels and sounds more doable to many.
So, if a complete change seems to much at once, switch your regular breakfast to one that appeals to you from the menus. Or a lunch or dinner. Just start and it will evolve from there.
To save this meal plan and recipes you can pin the picture below to your Pinterest board,
- 1 small head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, seeds removed
- 1 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 cup minced fresh mint plus extra leaves for garnish
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 green olives, I like to soak them for a couple of hours to remove excess salt halved
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped or 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Add the cauliflower to a food processor and pulse until fine even crumbs appear.
- Pour into a bowl and add all the remaining ingredients. Combine with salad forks or fingers until well combined. Serve with a few extra mint leaves on top.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed save the aquafaba / chickpea water, you can use it in many ways to replace egg whites
- 1 Tbsp. tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp hot sauce / siracha / optional
- Bake the rinsed chickpeas for 30 minutes in a preheated oven on 190C / 375C Stir the chickpeas once or twice to get an even bake during the 30 minutes.
- Mix the tamari, maple syrup and hot sauce in a bowl. Remove the chickpeas from the oven and add to the bowl, stir to coat all the chickpeas well.
- Bake for another 10 – 15 minutes until golden and crispy.
Creamy Avocado Breakfast Smoothie
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 green apple or firm pear
- 1 small lemon, peeled
- 1 inch ginger, optional
- 1 small cucumber or half of a big one
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 – 2 cups spinach
- Juice the ingredients and blend it with the spinach and avocado until creamy.